Keir Dullea (born May 30, 1936) is an American actor best known for his portrayals of astronaut David Bowman in the 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey and its 1984 sequel, 2010: The Year We Make Contact.
Dullea studied acting at the Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre in New York City. He has a long and successful career on stage in New York City and in regional theaters; he has even stated that, despite being more recognized for his film work, he prefers the stage.
2001: A Space OdysseyEdit
In 1968, Dullea appeared as astronaut David Bowman in Stanley Kubrick's film 2001: A Space Odyssey, which became a box-office success and was eventually recognized by critics, filmmakers, and audiences as one of the greatest and most influential films ever made. His line, "Open the pod bay doors please, HAL," is #78 on the American Film Institute's list of 100 movie quotes.
2010: The Year We Make ContactEdit
- ↑ "Keir Dullea". The New York Times.
- ↑ Nash, Margo (April 8, 2007). "After 50 Years in Acting, Fully Relaxed in His Craft". The New York Times. Retrieved March 30, 2009.
- ↑ Adler, Renata (April 4, 1968). "2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) The Screen: '2001' Is Up, Up and Away:Kubrick's Odyssey in Space Begins Run". The New York Times.
- ↑ Canby, Vincent (December 7, 1984). "2010 (1984) '2010,' PURSUES THE MYSTERY OF '2001'". The New York Times.
- ↑ "The 57th Academy Awards (1985) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved on October 13, 2011.