- January 12: Hal 9000 becomes operational in Urbana, Illinois, at the HAL Plant (the University of Illinois' Coordinated Science Laboratory, where the ILLIAC computers were built).
2001 begins the third millenium.
- The first successful voyage to the Jovian system (USA).
- TMA-2 is discovered.
- Discovery is lost, and its crew is killed or missing.
- The USAA is disolved and absorbed into the NCA, National Council of Astronautics.
- The TMA-1 is extracted from Earth's moon, and is transported to Earth. After intensive US study, it is installed in front of the UN building in NY, in 2006.
- Heywood Floyd was asked in 2007, to join a Soviet led expedition to Discovery. Training is for four months, and the journey is two and a half years long.
- The second successful voyage to the Jovian system (Soviet).
- Jupiter implodes on itself and becomes a mini-sun, called Lucifer.
- Heywood Floyd embarks on his second journey to the Jovian system.
- Third millenium
- Construction of Star City
3001 begins the fourth millennium.
- Star City in full operation.
- Frank Poole is revived with advanced technology, that rejuvenate his preserved cells from the deepfreeze of space.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.