- Sunday, January 12: Hal 9000 becomes operational in Urbana, Illinois, at the HAL Plant (the University of Illinois' Coordinated Science Laboratory, where the ILLIAC computers were built). (In the novel, it was in 1997.)
2001 begins the third millennium.
- February 12: The TMA-1 is extracted from Earth's moon.
- The first successful voyage to the Jovian system (USA).
- Thursday, April 12: TMA-2 is discovered.
- Two astronauts discover ruins on an asteroid. One was killed by a creature, the other was transformed into a New Seed by a Monolith.
- Space station Liberty is hit by meteors. Everyone escaped except for Herbert Marik, who's taken by a Monolith to live out his life as the ruler of a magnificent kingdom.
- Friday, June 13: Discovery is lost, and its crew is killed or missing.
- The USAA is disolved and absorbed into the NCA, National Council of Astronautics.
- TMA-1 is transported to Earth. After intensive US study, it is installed in front of the UN building in NY, in 2006.
- Heywood Floyd was asked in 2007, to join a Soviet led expedition to Discovery. Training is for four months, and the journey is two and a half years long.
- The second successful voyage to the Jovian system (Soviet).
- Jupiter implodes on itself and becomes a mini-sun, called Lucifer.
- Astronaut and comic fan Harvey Norton is fatally injured by hostile aliens. As he was succumbing to death, a Monolith changed him into a New Seed.
- Heywood Floyd embarks on his second journey to the Jovian system.
- Third millenium
- Construction of Star City.
3001 begins the fourth millennium.
- Star City in full operation.
- Frank Poole is revived with advanced technology, that rejuvenate his preserved cells from the deepfreeze of space.
- The lifeforms on the moon Europa evolve into a sentinel species, and develop a primitive (but sophisticated) civilization.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.